FEBRUARY 8, 2017

Today we received our project brief for Unit 7. For this brief it is reflecting the current climate and discourses; the initial themes is about charities and bringing social awareness. I was excited to start this project as it will be based on my own research and documentation. We got told how our work is assessed and I find it very useful because I got to know the grade criteria and how it will be assessed.  I think I need to start brainstorming some ideas so I can get some clues on what my concept should be based on, because right now I have completely no inspirations!!! 

FEBRUARY 9, 2017

Today we had another presentation and it was about developing proposal. I remember I did proposal last year during college and I remember I had struggle a lot when drafting my proposal. I hope the lesson I learned when drafting my proposal could be applied for this proposal as well, though I know that for the future reference you need to write a proposal in order to explain your concept. I did some brainstorm yesterday and I still had no inspirations at all, we got told to go to a gallery or library to start preparing for our research. Since we have to look at charities or bringing social awareness I remember watching a documentary yesterday night about shanty town in Brazil, and I had a interest in looking at that specific field. The documentary also stated that during Olympics in Brazil there's a wall that cover the dark side of shanty town. I think tonight when I get home I will definitely research more about shanty town and the olympics situation as well. 

FEBRUARY 10, 2017

So today I found out the result for my BA course... while I was logging in to ucas I did not get into my first choice - CSM Menswear. Of course I was VERY disappointed at myself I really feel like all the hard work I put into my portfolio was not worthy, in the end I can't blame really anyone but myself for doing my portfolio quite late. Despite the fact that I did not get into my first choice CSM Menswear, however I got accepted into LCF Menswear and LCF is mine second choice so I should be proud that I got an offer. I strongly do believe that if I did not get into my first choice it is not the END OF WORLD, in life there's never a straight line that goes up - there will always be an up and down moment. On the other hand, I am strongly happy for my friends and the students in my class that got in because they truly do deserve it! Anyway I really do believe that EVERYONE worked hard for UP! 

FEBRUARY 13, 2017

Today it was our assessment so officially no more part two and I need to begin my part three VERY SOON! After dropping my portfolio me and my friends went out to central to celebrate, and during the journey on the bus I realised that there was a lot of construction going on. It gave me an initial idea on how to start my project in which I should look at "construction", as I grew up in London I realised that there's always been a construction going on in the city, and this made me think about why, how, and where it occur. I recorded a various of construction sites that I witnessed while I was out as a source of primary imagery. 

Plan for tomorrow:

• Brainstorm ideas of "Construction" 
  • Annotate recorded imagery to give some ideas 
  • More research 

FEBRUARY 15, 2017

I came into the library again today to do more research. Yesterday I was brainstorming some initial ideas of "construction" and I came across to various field but I think that I will stick on the ideas of 'construction sites'. I began finding books about construction sites and I had difficulty in finding books because there was not much secondary imagery, as mainly of them were article and journal. However, I managed to find a few books about the techniques of construction site method though it was irrelevant information, but the imagery really suited the visual of how I view constructions site. I think that I should start reading articles that could be relevant to my research in order to gain knowledge of these situation and the impacts to the environmental or peoples. 

FEBRUARY 16, 2017

I stayed at home today because I feel like I would not need to use the resources in the library. I continue doing online research and try finding any article or news about 'construction sites' because there were lacks of books research of it. My plan for today was to find any relevant article that could relate to my research as I want to gain more knowledge, and accentuate my ideas progressing. I came across to one of a interesting article online about how "Construction is turning London into a city of holes"  [ https://www.ft.com/content/282e51f0-0683-11e6-9b51-0fb5e65703ce ] and [ http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/construction_demolition.htm ] it was stating the how "Construction and demolition waste is one of the heaviest and most voluminous waste streams generated in the EU", it also consists of numerous materials that cannot be recycled. This information interested me and generated my ideas, I think my next step is to look at construction and demolition waste as a environmental awareness

FEBRUARY 20, 2017

Today I came into the library to have a crit with my friends as this Unit is independent I want to make sure that I am going into the right direction towards my research. So I had a crit with my mates Lina & Abbas and I told them about my concept which is based on 'construction and demolition' - I intend to look at the midst of construction and demolition by looking how construction building, and these sites are being demolition which lead to waste and this bring an impacts to the environment because demolition waste it one of the most voluminous and heaviest. Lina suggested that I should stay away from architecture-based because it is mine comfort zone instead I should stay away, therefore, she liked the ideas of me looking at the demolition waste as my next step. She suggested that I should interpret the words 'demolition' and what it reminds me of. On the other hands, Abbas suggest me that I should look at compression and how most demolition waste are being crushed and demolish, as a way to reflect the words 'demolition'. From the feedback I received I totally agree with Abbas & Lina about how the topic 'architecture' is mine comfort zone, instead I should explore different topics; therefore, I want to look at waste, compression and reforming as my next progression. I am still keeping 'construction' as the beginning of my concept in the end I will think about how I will rationalise my whole progression into one. 

FEBRUARY 21, 2017

Well today was a unproductive day... I came into the library thinking I will do more research instead I was chatting with Tom, Xavier and Veronica the whole evening and I did not get much works done. However, Tom did gave me reference of some artists which is Tadashi Kawamata and Daniel Firman. I was very grateful to him because these two artists really relate to my research and I did had a hard time looking for references. I am currently now looking at 'compression' so how materials or objects being compressed and demolish. In general, I think that my research are secure and I should begin doing sketchbook development to generate my ideas as I've been focusing on my workflow these week and have no touch my sketchbook. 

Plan for tomorrow:

• Start sketchbook development 
  • Start drafting proposal 
  • Do more PRIMARY research

FEBRUARY 22, 2017

I was planning to go and see Pauline Moon but due to tube strike I cannot travel to Kings Cross. I was planning to see Pauline Moon about my project proposal as I am struggling to convey my ideas, I feel like I have too many ideas I do not know how to put it in sentence. I began to start writing up my proposal because I do not have enough time and I needed start my sketchbook development. To help myself I started off as a bullet point then I gradually put it in sentence; I know for sure that I want to explore the idea of 'construction and demolition' through three different ways. Firstly, I recorded a various of primary research of construction sites in London. I looked at the imagery and most demolition waste was being compressed and so I looked at César Baldachin and John Chamberlain specifically for their radical compressions. They utilise the most economical materials and to challenge the values of mass production. I think from this step to extend my proposal I need to plan what I will intend to do for my sketchbook development till my final piece. 

FEBRUARY 23, 2017

So yesterday, I started begin my proposal and I finally know how to start it off. I had an ideas of my concept though I am still struggling to 'links' altogether but I think I'm on the right track, all I need right now is get someone to proof-read for me. I feel like this week I've been to focusing on my research and proposal, so I feel like my research is not well develop which did not meet my expectation. I asked my friend Lina for some advice and she did agree with me that I am overthinking; I should just start my sketchbook development to let me creativity flow as my ideas are all in my head so I could not visualise the process. 

FEBRUARY 26, 2017

So far, I finished off my proposal and I just need to complete the time table plan. I started my sketchbook by collaging all the research I've found and recorded. I feel like my sketchbook is not going on the right direction, since tomorrow is the first day back I should probably do as much as I can in order to get crits response from my classmates and tutor to ensure that I am going in the right direction. From collaging I realised that my research imagery was a bit too much construction and there was no 'demolition' going on - I should really get more imagery of destroying construction sites. 

FEBRUARY 27, 2017

Today is the first day back; in the morning we got put with a partner and my partner is Nowshin. We have to explain our partner proposal and see if they have a fully understanding of our concept and whether if it make sense to them. Then we got put in a groups of six and had our partner discussing our proposal, I realised that this discussion was very useful, because I got a full understanding whether if my concept works make sense or not. I also received feedback that they liked my ideas, and I should focus on materials based for the project because it would correlate really well. During afternoon we have to pick our the winner and Nada was the winner within our group. In this case we have to research three images for them and collage them in order to get an idea in how we should start collaging to get out ideas and thought in. 

FEBRUARY 28, 2017

Unfortunately, I could not make it to today class because I had a portfolio review with Westminster. The interview went really great I was glad that I got an interview with them! We were given a tour around the studio and it was amazing how each students get their own space and desk to work. Though I did not get a offer from CSM my plan b is to go either LCF or Westminster because I am still unsure which uni I should go, but if Westminster did accept me I'll have a strong consider about that uni! After my interview finish I went back to CSM to get more research imagery and I feel like I have lacks of images to collage

MARCH 1, 2017

I went to a exhibition today at Victoria Miro for "Do Ho Suh: Passage/s". I find his exhibition really interesting specifically his sewing and his embroidery, it make me inspire to do some sewing for my samples. After the exhibition I came back to the library to catch what the stuff I missed yesterday - I continue to do more sketchbook development since I want to do more textiles-based for this project I did some weaving with plastic bags, fabric and other materials that is recyclable. For me I really want to experiment with rocks like having the rocks being crushed and somehow correlate the rocks onto the sample? Well I think I should visit the workshop this Friday to use the facilities. 

MARCH 2, 2017

So today in class we continue with our sketchbook tutorial and after lunch I had a tutorial with Chris; he liked my idea of my concept "Construction and Demolition" and how things are being crushed and compressed. I agree with his statement in how I should extend my ideas further or else my project will only be based on on initial ideas, and so I will eventually ran out ideas. He suggested that I should look at the opposite of demolition as my next step, so it give a juxtaposition. To be honest, I struggle a lot with concept because I'm a straightforward person I personally like to stick with one initial idea, however, I agree with what Chris told me today if I continue having one initial ideas it will lacks of creativity. I think this is the issue that I need to challenge my self. 

MARCH 3, 2017

I was planning to go in to the workshop today but I overslept my alarm... so today I decided to stay at home and continue with my making my textiles sample. I want to create a series of woven sample and I realised that it is takes up a lot of time. While making my sample I realised that I started to change my colour scheme, and I think my last colour scheme will be orange, grey, black, brown and yellow. I want to challenge myself using different colours as many of my previous project my colour scheme have always been black and white, since this is the last project I want to use a variety of colours that I've never explored before. 

MARCH 6, 2017

Today we have 3D Design Development workshop; this workshop have been very useful though it was similar to the workshop we had for public art but it gained me skills in how to drape. Chris also taught us how to quickly sketch some ideas of shape development on the body, to be honest I find it quite difficult to work with abstract shapes on the body as I'm used to convey shape on a traditional garment; however, it taught me how to explore shape freely without any hassle. Some of the drape that I explored today I might consider collaborate it with my woven sample as my next development. 

MARCH 7, 2017

Today I did not come in because I have a fever... I made it even more worse from yesterday by not wearing much clothing. I was a bit sad that I couldn't come in because we are going to have a print workshop with Petra today and I was looking forward to it. I think if I'm feeling better tomorrow I might ask some student in my class to teach me what they've learned so I can catch up

MARCH 9, 2017

For these two days I started to feel more better. I came in today and got told that Chris is not in - I stayed in the library because I work better in a quiet environment than in the studio. I continue finishing making a series of my woven samples as I realised that it require a lot of times, however the result look aesthetically-pleasing. While I was in the library I did more research on materials I feel like for this project I want to explore materials-based, because this area is not what I've explored before, and I think it'll broaden my skills and knowledge more. 

MARCH 13, 2017

Today I had a progress tutorial with Chris. I was told to redraft my proposal as they were some grammar mistake, but in general Chris liked my project so far and he said that this project is my strongest one. I was happy when he praised me because I do agree with Chris - I do think that this project is my strongest one compare to the previous project, as I let the project lead on and believed in my self more. 

To improve my project I should reconsider more of the materials, as the materials I used so far is organic and it give off a "natural feels" rather than "industrial". He also recommend me to go to the metal or wood workshop and I should use more industrialised materials to reflect upon my concept. I think I will try get some pins, wire or screw to explore more industrialised materials. In addition, I should keep developing my design development and try do more draping in order to step up my project. 

To evaluate, the progress tutorial with Chris was helpful and it really made me reconsider the materials I should be using I think tomorrow I should start doing some materials shopping, as it really did motivated me! 

MARCH 16, 2017

I stayed in the library today and did not work in the studio because I work much better in that environment. I started to embody the sample on to the silhouettes though I am still struggling to draw the body, but I suddenly remembered that during the workshop Chris told us to do a quick sketch in order to get your initial ideas in.

To extend my research further, I will be looking and introducing 'compression' as I am still focusing on 'demolition', therefore, Chris told me that I should start looking at WASTE and how waste are being compressed which then reflect back to my initial research of "compression". 

MARCH 20, 2017

For today lesson not many people came in so it was independent study instead. I continued with my design development and I had problem with abstract silhouettes, because I am more towards menswear and menswear silhouette are more simple and clean. Therefore, I found a solution by combining with my textiles piece to have the contrast. I think my next step is to do more draping so I get an idea on extending my design development, because I just realised that even during my previous project I did not do much draping which probably why I hesitate to do design development. 

MARCH 21, 2017

Unfortunately, I could not come today because I had a phototherapy appointment which clash with the class. During the evening I continued exploring with silhouettes and I am still having difficulties with it as I would try to resemble the silhouette into a garment. I think my focus for now should be looking at existing garment in order for me to get an sense in what I was trying to implicate my design development be.

MARCH 27 - 31, 2017

It’s the beginning week of Easter holiday and my plan is to stick to my action plan so I can be organised and have a time management, because my time management really sucks and this is what I really want to improve by the end of this project.

• Continue with design development and textiles
  • Self-teach myself pattern cutting so it will be beneficial for me when constructing my final outcome

MARCH 31, 2017

I finally finish pattern cutting some pieces, and I was very proud of myself as I do not have any pattern cutting experience before however I thought that I should learn some new skills, despite how my tutor did told me that it will be tricky and during BA they will teach us. But this week when I did some pattern cutting I learned some technical skills which could be beneficial for me when progressing to BA. Now my plan for next week is hopefully to start constructing my final piece so I can have time to refine my garment near the photoshoot.

APRIL 4, 2017

It’s the second week of Easter holiday and my plan for this week is to start constructing my final piece. Today I am planning to do a toile for my garment, since last week I finished pattern cutting my pieces so I need to draft my garment in order to know if there’s need some refinement. In general, my aim is to make a vest which was inspired by health and safety vest, I thought that a vest would be an easy way to start pattern cutting; because I do not have any experience in pattern cutting therefore, I don’t want to complicate myself.

APRIL 8, 2017

Today I started constructing the base of my final piece - I finished the toile on Tuesday and so my plan is to transfer it onto the fabric. I was planning to go Berwick street to get some fabrics but I did not find anything I like. Stupid of me... I also forgot to pick up some sample swatches since Berwick street one are allowed to give you samples. In the end I went to Hackney one as I remember Jo was telling us that there is a fabrics warehouse, and I remember during one of my previous project I brought some fabrics there and it was amazing, as they were various of fabrics to be choose from.

For now I need to catch up with my sketchbook because I am quite behind with few of the developments as during the Easter holidays I’ve been focusing on the making of final piece, so I did not have any concentration for my sketchbook. This is why I have such bad time management and lacks of organisational skills.

APRIL 10, 2017

It’s the first day back from Easter holiday and it was really nice to see everyone! For the morning session I did not find it that helpful it was mainly going through the Unit 7. I need to make sure that my garment is DONE and PHOTOGRAPHED on the 19th. I realised that I am still not done constructing my garment as I need to sew the pieces together, since I do not have a sewing machine and apparently the workshop will be closed this Wednesday and Friday so I need to find another solution in where I can use a sewing machine. I will probably go to my friend’s Xavier house to borrow his sewing machine in order to attach my pattern pieces so I can start visualise in where I should place my textiles. I think that PLANNING is really the key for me in getting EVERYTHING done on time and keep in track of my progress because I really DO NOT want to leave these last minute (hopefully this will come true).

APRIL 14, 2017

Today I did some sample that will be as an embellishment for my garment, as I did some experimentation before in which I thought it will looks effective as I do not want a plain simple garment. For this sample I was very consistent in the colour, though my main colour palettes is based on black, grey, orange and yellow. However, I want to stick with three as a maximum because I personally prefer dark colours with a hint of bright colour so it show the juxtaposition, as too many bright colours will look too flashy and dark colours will look dull. Hopefully when my sample is completed it would suit the garment.

APRIL 16, 2017

I went to my friend Xavier’s house today to use his sewing machine since I do not have one at home and unfortunately the workshop is closed this week. When I was sewing the garment pieces together by accident I left thread out and somehow it look blend in well with my garment, as my concept is about construction and demolition and I want to see the ‘demolition’ side, as my garment was too ‘clean-cut’. So I decided to leave raw hem out and some thread to show this ‘messy’ looks in response to my concept.

APRIL 20, 2017

Today was the hand-in of our exhibition pieces and I am glad that one aspect of Unit 7 is completed. Hopefully, the tutors will present my final piece in the exhibition!!! The process of handing in was really quite long, and I did not know that you can scan your sketchbook and show some pages for the exhibition, I thought you need to present a WHOLE sketchbook for the exhibition, because I was planning to tune in my sketchbook however it is incomplete. Perhaps I should make sure to listen during the lecture carefully or read the instructions to make sure the information is correct. So far one thing to left to do is to print out the image of the photoshoot, because I want to print it on a printing shop which cost less and the quality of prints was very good when I visited there last time.

APRIL 19, 2017

Today is the photoshoot - I was quite pleased with the outcome though I feel like I could do better? Probably because I was lacks of confidence as everyone final piece was amazing and I kind of compared myself along with other people’s work. Now I just need to focus on finishing off for the exhibition hand-in on Thursday, and my sketchbook as well in this case it will be my main priority, to be honest, my sketchbook is quite behind so I need to make a thorough plan in order to get everything done on time in good quality.

APRIL 20, 2017

Today was the hand-in of our exhibition pieces and I am glad that on aspect of Unit 7 is completed. Hopefully, the tutors will present my final piece in the exhibition!!! The process of handing in was really quite long, and I did not know that you can scan you sketchbook and show some pages for the exhibition, I thought you need to present a WHOLE sketchbook for the exhibition, because I was planning to tune in my sketchbook however it is incomplete. Perhaps I should make sure to listen during the lecture carefully or read the instructions to make sure the information is correct. So far one thing to left to do is to print out the image of the photoshoot, because I want to print it on a printing shop which cost less and the quality of prints was very good when I visited there last time.

APRIL 24, 2017

Tomorrow is the last day of foundation, literally I met amazing people in foundation and everyone will be missed!!! 

So today my plan is to refine my sketchbook, workflow and start writing up my evaluation. I guess there will be no sleep for me today, my last all nighter in foundation. Hopefully, I will finish everything by today as I got told that you have to make a portfolio of your best works? I guess that should also be in my list to do as well.